Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Arrival

It has officially been one week in Copenhagen and all is well from this weird country. Before coming to Cope, I had very little expectations. All I’ve heard was that everything was expensive, the weather was shitty and the people were all blonde. To my surprise its not as expensive as expected, the weather is so not bad (thank you Wisconsin winters for preparing me) and the people are all way more beautiful than I could ever imagine. Every single person I walk by is wearing trendy jackets and boots, and looking gorgeous.



So far most of my time has been spent trying to figure out the bizarre language, street names and which obscure looking meat in the grocery store could possibly be chicken. I have come to the conclusion that whoever created this language took the English vocabulary, then threw in a couple J’s, D’s, G’s and switched a couple letters pronunciations and called it a day. It literally doesn’t make any sense and I have decided I need to learn at least the food so I can figure out what I am ever eating (food always comes first) and maybe be able to say my address to a cab driver.

 

Beside from being beautiful, the people here are all pretty quiet and blunt, that is unless they are drunk. Its very easy to spot out Americans because we are 100 times louder than everyone else in the cafes, on the metro or walking down the street and the Danes are not afraid to tell us to shut up. They also all dress their kids up in adorable little snowsuits and leave their children outside cafes for hours in their strollers; it’s not a rumor! Most surprising thing is that every single person owns a New York Yankees hat, confident to see one every time I ride the metro. 

School just started but so far all is good. Everyone in my classes is super nice and the processors are really cool. They all have so much international experience and will actually be really interesting to learn from. My location is pretty good and close to the city but I have learned that my neighborhood may be the Staten Island of Copenhagen, which is proven by the tanning salons on every corner.

I have loved getting to learn Copenhagen so far, finding adorable cafes, refraining from buying every piece of clothing I see and taking mounds of Snapchats of the canals. I took my first day trip out of the city to the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art this weekend and it was very cool. I am shocked and proud of us for figuring out the train schedule and not ending up in Sweden! Definitely a site to return to once the snow melts and be able to explore the sculpture gardens.


 
   

I’m excited to continue to get to know my area and really immerse myself in the amazing culture surrounding me. While I still have so much to research and explore, I am looking forward to my trip to Sweden next weekend, a touristy canal ride and eating as much salmon as possible without getting mercury poisoning. Now time to get some 20 kroner Tuborg and celebrate surviving my first week in Kobhavn!

No comments:

Post a Comment